Los Angeles, CA Omni Los Angeles Hotel June 26 - 27, 2013
San Francisco, CA Parc 55 Wyndham Union Square June 18 - 19, 2013
The 2013 brochure is now available.
A comprehensive two day advanced-level program addressing California-specific developments affecting employment policies and practices of business and government.
The agenda will be comprised of topics addressing substantive updates in the areas of:
- California Wage and Hour Update - In-depth coverage of compensable work time, the proper calculation of the regular rate of pay, back pay and base pay following conversions from exempt to non-exempt status, pay stub configuration, meal period certifications, wage deductions, business expense reimbursement and new developments under employee exemptions;
- California Family Rights Act (CFRA) - An overview of who is covered, who is eligible and qualifying circumstances....followed by an in-depth review of managing the leave process, appropriate and effective contact with employee's health care provider, best practices for assessing "fitness for duty" to return to work, reinstatement and management of performance, and recent and pending CFRA legislation;
- Trade Secrets and Covenants-Not-To-Compete in California - A discussion of California's own unique law outlawing most covenants-not-to-compete even while remaining signatory to the Uniform Trade Secrets Act with over 40 others states;
- Arbitration in California - The continuing impact of the Supreme Court's decision in AT&T Mobility v. Concepcion where California courts have struggled with its meaning and impact on arbitration claims, often conflicting with the Supreme Court;
- California Fair Employment and Housing Act Disability Requirements - Recent updates and court decisions covering State law definitions of "qualified," "disabilty," and "reasonable accommodation," practical considerations when facing possible ADA and FEHA issues, updates and challenges related to the obligation to engage in the interactive process, and the interplay between the ADA, FEHA, Workers' Compensation, PDL and FMLA/CFRA;
- Other Developments in California Employment Law - Update on the most recent bills, regulations and key judicial decisions on social media, religious dress and grooming, whistleblowers, personnel file rights, "motivating factor" analysis, the definition of "supervisor" under anti-discrimination law, and other hot topics.
This program will provide between 12-14.5 CLE hours, depending upon the jurisdiction.
Advisory Board member scheduled to participate in the program include: Kirby Wilcox, Esq.
Early Registration Fee: $845.00 (available until approximately 3 weeks prior to the seminar date, please consult brochure for exact date)
Registration Fee: $895.00
The use of this seal is not an endorsement by HRCI of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met HRCI's criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.